WE OFFER HIGH-QUALITY APPLICATION AND DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH FOR PROJECTS IN THE FIELD OF POLYMER MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGIES.
FTPO strives to carry out high-quality applied and development research in accordance with the highest international standards. We want to encourage innovation, so we strive for the applicability and transfer of research results for commercial purposes. In addition, we also take care of the connection between research and teaching, ie the transfer of the latest scientific findings into pedagogical practice. Research activity is carried out in close cooperation with users / companies and in cooperation with educational and research institutions, both in Slovenia and abroad.
We also involve students in research work in several ways. Students can get involved in project research with diploma and master's theses, they can (or in connection with the company) propose a topic for diploma or master's thesis, through participation in PKP projects and, the last two years, by connecting the study process with an industrial partner (Kolektor , Plastic Skaza).
The equipment we have at our disposal enables top scientific and applied research and development activities, as well as excellent pedagogical work. The entire system is unique in Slovenia and the wider region, as the work of laboratories is horizontally coordinated and enables comprehensive treatment of various problems from material synthesis (up to 2.5 kg), compounding and production of granules, processing on an injection molding machine, characterization in all stages of development material / product and environmental impact testing, biodegradation and LCA analysis. This allows for very efficient research work and a high response rate.
Our priority research areas are:
1. Synthesis of polymers
2. Materials for 3D printing
3. Polymer processing and tool making
4. Preparation of polymer mixtures and composites (thermoplastic and thermosetting)
5. Recycling and the circular economy
6. Innovative teaching methods in technical study programs
Research work takes place in five laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art laboratory equipment:
1. Laboratory for the synthesis of polymeric materials with equipment that allows the synthesis of almost all polymers, in quantities from a few grams to almost 2.5 kg, a respirometer for determining biodegradability, a chamber for determining stability (SUNTEST), etc.
2. Laboratory for modeling and simulations with Siemens NX, Moldflow Sinergy and Moldflow Adviser software.
3. Laboratory for thermal characterization with state-of-the-art equipment for determining the thermal properties of polymers (DSC, Flash DSC, TGA-DSC, TGA, TGA-FTIR, thermal conductivity measurement, MFI,…).
4. Laboratory for mechanical characterization in which we perform tensile, compressive and bending tests, determine toughness, etc.
5. Polymer processing laboratory with two injection molding machines, twin-screw extruder, two single-screw extruders, granulator, thermoformer, laser engraving machine, etc.
We are constantly updating and updating the equipment of our laboratories. A detailed list of the equipment we have is available here.
You can see more about the faculty's research projects here.